Re: :chdir .

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: :chdir .
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:30:15 +1000

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:48:23AM +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 04:58:14PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > Why doesn't "^A:chdir ." work as I would expect - set the current
> > directory to wherever my bash prompt is currently at?
>
> No, your bash is a different process and the screen process can't
> access it. (Also, the cwd of which window should screen use?)

OK. (If it had to choose - to me the currently displayed screen would
make most sense.)

> > * is there any chance that screen can use the directory that I supply,
> > rather than expanding symlinks (which looks kind of ugly)?
>
> I don't understand this. Where does screen expand symlinks?

cwd of new screen/ ^A c.

I'm currently on a spare box, since my laptop needs repairs, so I made a
backup onto a spare hdd of all my working dirs, which are located in my
home dir. so I have:

~/hdc5/zen/backups/laptop/home/zen/work/...
~/work -> hdc5/zen/backups/laptop/home/zen/work/

When I set chdir to work/, and then create a new screen, it starts up
with a directory of

~/hdc5/zen/backups/laptop/home/zen/work/

My bash prompt includes my cwd, and the above looks ridiculous, and
makes it hard to see where I really am in the fs.

Hope that makes sense,
Zen