Re: problem using screen after running /bin/su

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Re: problem using screen after running /bin/su
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:50:33 +0200

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:39:48 -0700 (PDT) Edward Quillen wrote:
> Cannot open your terminal '/dev/pts/4' - please check.

I have the same problem under Linux. I found out that the device is
owned by the user who started the terminal (emulator). Ordinary users
cannot read/write from/to that device. The device seems to be central
for IO; for example issuing

    echo "hello" > /dev/pts/4

should output "hello" in the terminal. It's a while ago that I searched
the web. All I could find were people saying that the above problem is a
bug in screen.

A workaround may involve setting the needed permissions before su'ing.

Felix