Re: screen refusing to reattach

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: screen refusing to reattach
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:30:19 +0100

On Mar 25, 05 07:11:37 -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I can confirm this behaviour.  I've experienced it in BSD, Solaris, and
> Linux.  I believe it has something to do with the tty already being
> allocated somehow.
>
> The solution is to kill off the shell process which had previously
> run (and in some cases, still is running) screen -x or screen -r.  I
> wrote a simple sh script called "cleartty" which does this for me
> (since I myself only run one screen session at a time).
>
> I've also seen behaviour when reattaching (screen -x or -r) works, then
> a short bit later, stops working altogether.  I believe this to be
> OpenSSH saying "Okay, the attached SSH session has died, lets clean up
> applicable ttys/ptys" and proceeds to munge something that a reattached
> screen seems to rely on.  Detatching, logging out, and logging back in
> usually fixes it.
>
> Authors' comments?

Heared such complaints every now and then, but never experienced
that myself.
I use several screen sessions on different machines everyday.
I frequently reconnect them into each other ssh.
All Linux and Solaris boxes with xterms to start or attach the sessions.

Are you using any Xforwarding, agents or other arcane such
ssh features that I dont use?
And I don't use screen -x, only -D -r ... , perhaps that somehow
avoids such problems?
Or is there a linux distro out there with broken ptys?

cheers,
        Jw.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert      unix-software __/ _=======.=======_