Re: Locking screen

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: Locking screen
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:51:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Will Maier wrote:

Well, again, the thought of using /bin/true as a "locker" comes up (this is settable as an an environment variable, $LOCKPRG, but apparently not as a builtin, that way there would be only one prompt.

The unusual thing that the manpage mentions is that apparently a builtin will be used if lock cannot be found. I think this is the case under FreeBSD, as nothing like "lock" shows in PS while the screen is locked, and the prompts output by "lock" don't match the ones I see in screen.

Anyway, yes I could modify a screen locker util to read my password from .screenrc. This is ONE of two problems I am trying to address.

1) The double password issue.  Annoying, but no risk.

2) On failure to enter the "screen password", the system drops you *BACK AT A PROMPT*, now, given at this point someone's already proved they know my login password here, so I mean it's not a sign of weakness, but how hard would it be to have screen JUST KEEP PROMPTING, FOREVER.

Note, #2 is only a problem because of the thought of setting LOCKPRG to true or something to fix problem #1.

I guess it's a bit of a misnomer that I'm not unlocking an attached session, I'm actually unlocking screen which will then restore a detached session on its own and failing that, drop me at a prompt.

I guess what would be neatest is some sort of "kill parent shell on exit" function.