launch screen by root as another user

From: Gary Skowronek
Subject: launch screen by root as another user
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:22:46 -0600

Hello!

I run a 24x7 game server and I use screen to connect to the process etc.
However, I would like to start up the server by the use of init startup scripts. But, I do not want the process owned by root. It should be a standard user.

Here is the command to launch the server.
screen -A -m -d -S SOF2_svr /usr/local/games/sof2/sof2ded +set net_port $2 +exec $3 +set sv_pure 1 +set fs_game rocmod

Does anyone know of a way to launch a screen process by root and have it owned by a different user?
I have tried.....
su $user -c screen -A -m -d -S SOF2_svr /usr/local/games/sof2/sof2ded +set net_port $2 +exec $3 +set sv_pure 1 +set fs_game rocmod

I also tried putting the screen command in a separate script and just run it.

Basically, the process dies right after it is launched. No errors or warnings.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to launch screen and a process by root, but as another user.