Re: The -d and -D options

From: JCA
Subject: Re: The -d and -D options
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:47:13 +0100

  Thanks for your clarifications - they do help. As for the -D -RR
"explanation" in the man pages - well, my point is that whomever wrote
either did not know what -D -RR really does, or could not be bothered
to explain it sensibly. The world will indeed not end if one does not
understand the explanation, but it really is the worst in a rather
poorly written man page. Which is a shame, for screen really rocks.

On 3/30/07, Paul Hoffman <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 07:32:31PM +0100, JCA wrote:

>   I wonder if someone could please explain the meaning of the
> following options the screen command:
>
>       -d -r   Reattach a session and if necessary detach it first.
>
>       -d -R   Reattach a session and if necessary detach or  even  create
>       it
>               first.
>
>       -d -RR  Reattach  a  session  and if necessary detach or create it.
>       Use
>               the first session if more than one session is available.
>
>       -D -r   Reattach a session. If necessary  detach  and  logout
>       remotely
>               first.
>
>       -D -R   Attach here and now. In detail this means: If a session is
>       run-
>               ning, then reattach. If necessary detach  and  logout
>               remotely
>               first.   If  it  was not running create it and notify the
>               user.
>               This is the author's favorite.
>
>       -D -RR  Attach here and now. Whatever that means, just do it.
>
> I am enclosing them with their description in the screen man page
> because, quite frankly, I do not understand the differences (they all
> sound very similar), and under what circumstances I would want to use
> one of them rather than the others.

I was confused, too, but figured them out (more or less) by careful
re-reading and (more importantly) by experimenting with different
combinations.

The difference between -d and -D is that -D may cause a session to be
logged out remotely, whereas -d will not.  This is the only thing I'm
not sure I understand -- if you create a session on host A and then use
screen -d on host B, will it not detach the session that's running on
host A?  Do you have to use -D in this case?

The difference between -r and -R is that -R will create a session if no
session can be reattached.  The difference between -R and -RR is that
-RR will reattach the first session it finds, whereas -R will throw up
its hands if it finds more than one (i.e., it won't reattach but will
instead list all detached sessions so you can then use screen -r
<session> to specify the one you want to reattach).

> The "if necessary" qualifier is particularly galling, for it is not at
> all clear (to me) how to determine the necessity requirement.

Try re-reading them one at a time.  First one:

>       -d -r   Reattach a session and if necessary detach it first.

Translation: Try to reattach a session. If it's already attached, detach
it and then try again.  This way you can start a session in one terminal
and reattach it in another terminal *without having first detached it in
the first terminal*.

Next:

>       -d -R   Reattach a session and if necessary detach or  even
>               create  it first.

Translation: Try to reattach a session. If it's already attached, detach
it and and then try again. If it's neither attached nor detached --
i.e., if it doesn't even exist -- then create it and attach to it.

Next:

>       -d -RR  Reattach  a  session  and if necessary detach or create it.
>               Use the first session if more than one session is available.

See above.

The remaining combinations (-D -r, -D -R, and -D -RR) are the same
except they will detach *and logout remotely*, whatever that means -- I
always use -D rather than -d.

> The description of -D -RR is the very worst, for it really is a
> useless explanation if there has ever been one (and there has.)

Yikes!  Relax; the world won't end if you don't understand this.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <address@hidden>