Re: how do I bind Super- and Meta- ?

From: David Douthitt
Subject: Re: how do I bind Super- and Meta- ?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:04:27 -0500

Micah Cowan wrote:

> Miernik wrote:
>
>> How can I bind Super- (mod4) or Meta- (mod3) to some function in GNU
>> screen?
>>

> I'm pretty sure you can't. I don't think any terminals actually send
> anything for those modifiers. Shift, Control, and Alt all work by
> modifying the base ASCII code value they send (for regular keys);
My understanding is that keyboards do send codes for those.  For
example, my KVM works by using a quick doubletap on "Control"; and some
Windows systems will change mode if you lean on the Control key or Shift
key too long, and a quintuple tap on the Control key activates an
assistive mode.

The keyboard sends a keycode for all keys (including control, meta, alt,
super, et al) and the cpu converts the keycodes to characters.

I couldn't find anything on key codes in the screen manual (or source
code), but I'd suggest looking at the termcap (is there a termcap entry
for Meta or Super?) and using that.  Look at the command "bindkey" as
well as section 11.2 in the
user manual (Input Translation).

Screen uses the termcap/terminfo entries in order to be able to work on
whatever physical screen it attached to at the moment (as it changes, of
course...)

--
UNIX System Administrator
Linux+, SCSA, RHCE, LPIC-1