Re: (no subject)

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:22:02 -0400

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:08:02AM EDT, ara.t.howard wrote:

> hi all, first post to the list-
>
> i've scanned the archives and seen that others have had issues
> getting 256 colors under screen as well - this is the issue i'm having.
>
> i'm running the 'xterm-colortest' found here:
>
>   http://frexx.de/xterm-256-notes/
>   http://frexx.de/xterm-256-notes/data/xterm-colortest
>
> and it works correctly in my terminal (iTerm on OSX).  however, when
> i start screen the colors are binned into nearest neighbor or
> something like that.  here is my .screenrc
>
> cfp:~ > cat .screenrc
> termcapinfo xterm ti@:te@
> defscrollback 1            #Will be handled localy
>
> ### http://frexx.de/xterm-256-notes/
> # terminfo and termcap for nice 256 color terminal
> # allow bold colors - necessary for some reason
> attrcolor b ".I"
>
> # tell screen how to set colors. AB = background, AF=foreground
> termcapinfo xterm 'Co#256:AB=\E[48;5;%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%dm'
>
> # erase background with current bg color
> defbce "on"
>
> any thoughts on how to fix this issue?
>
> kind regards.

IIRC .. you first need to have a version of screen that supports 256
colors _and_ specify --enable-colors256 when you ./configure it prior
to compile.

AFAIK 256-color support is not the default.

If you didn't compile screen yourself -- if you are running a binary
distribution such as debian stable for instance .. it probably was not
enabled by the package maintainer.

Not sure if there's a way you can check on the configure options from
the binary.

Another thing is that you are going to need to have screen point to a
terminfo entry that supports 256 colors.

I do the latter with the following .screenrc statement:

  term    "screen-256color-bce"

Even if this turns out not to be necessary (?) to run your 256-color
test from a shell successfully, you will need a correct terminfo entry
for screen-mode apps that use it to determine the capabilities of the
underlying terminal anyway (mutt, vim, eg.)

I can't look into the details of my setup right now but I think the
above is all there is to it.

HTH

Thanks,
cga