involuntarily disconnected screen session thinks it is already attached

From: Poor Yorick
Subject: involuntarily disconnected screen session thinks it is already attached
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 18:06:35 +0000

using

        Screen version 3.09.15 (FAU) 13-Mar-03

Sometimes when my network connection is involuntarily terminated, I
re-establish the connection, obtain a new IP address, telnet to the host, and
attempt to reattach the screen session:

        screen -rd

which then hangs indefinitely.  The '-D' switch also hangs.  screen -ls shows
that screen thinks the session is still attached to a previous pts:

        26770.pts-6.myhost     (Attached)

Is there any way to tell screen to detach that session?

--
Poor Yorick