making split screen behave

From: Sonia Hamilton
Subject: making split screen behave
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:14:29 +1000

I use the split command (C-a S) to split my screens, and have a hard
status line inspired by the examples:

hardstatus string "%{.bW}%-w%{.rW}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{..G} %{..Y}"

I also have the suggested key bindings to make working with focus
easier:

bind j focus down
bind k focus up
bind t focus top
bind b focus bottom

When I do a split, the focus goes to the top region. The bottom region
is in some sort of null state displaying nothing, and when I change
focus to it I have to manually change to another window, using for
example C-a 5.

My question is: how to configure screen (in .screenrc) so that when I do
a split in window n, the bottom region displays region n + 1 (say).
(Even nicer would be n + 1 mod 'number of screens' so it handles
splitting on the highest numbered screen).

My second question is: how do I "unsplit"?

Thanks, Sonia.