Re: screen in single user mode - "cannot open /dev/console"

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: screen in single user mode - "cannot open /dev/console"
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:40:23 +1000

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 09:25:40AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>> I am using Ubuntu Linux (Gutsy Gibbon):
>
> [...] I understand that Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) use the same
> sys-v init system that Red Hat uses.

Debian *by default* uses SysV init.  It includes a number of other
init systems, though service definitions for those currently need to
be written by hand.

Ubuntu by default uses upstart, an event-based init system.  Ubuntu
does not "support" other init systems.  There plan to port the sysv
init scripts they get from Debian before Edgy (6.10) ships.  Until
then, they use a compatibility wrapper that essentially turns upstart
into a bloated sysv init.  There is no inittab on Ubuntu.