Re: Copy-scrollback mode -- VIsual feedback in window caption?

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Copy-scrollback mode -- VIsual feedback in window caption?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:19:09 -0500

* Hugo Heden had this to say on [15 Dec 2009, 11:03:39 +0100]:
[snip]
> > > Not sure this sounds like an obscure use case.. But I would love it if
> > > I could configure some visual feedback for when being in
> > > copy-scroll-back-mode.)
> >
> > Otherwise, if you really feel visual feedback is a good idea, I guess a
> > permanent blinking message in reverse video in the current status area
> > would probably do the trick and cover all the bases, even for thos who
> > do no use a caption/status line (?)
> >

> Yes, that sounds reasonable, though I *think* it'd be enough with something
> that isn't actually blinking.

Something configurable sounds like a good idea to me. That way, users who
don't want to don't need to adapt to a change.

So, I decided to go with adding cruft to the caption string (sigh*). I
have added 'P' flag, which will set '%?' to true if the current window is
in copy/paste mode. So, if you want to simply change the color etc. of
your caption, prepend '%?%P%{XXX}%?' to your caption and you're set ('XXX'
stands for the usual attribute/color modifier). If, on the other hand,
you want to change the caption string in copy mode, change your caption
string to '%?%PCaption for copy mode%:Your usual caption%?'

* I sigh because (1) I really didn't want to add more cruft to the
  already-too-complicated caption string, and (2) this fix doesn't help
  someone who doesn't have a caption string.

> Something Vim like perhaps (as suggested by
> Dustin Kirkland elsewhere in this thread)? (Though I'm not sure what the
> "line number" would be helpful for.. Should the lines be counted from the
> top or the bottom of the scrollback buffer?)

A vim-like caption could indeed be useful. It can be done by, for
example, interpreting the escape sequences differently when in copy/mode.
But I really really don't want that to happen. I think it'd be much
better to leave that kind of thing to scripts (when the support for that
gets a bit more mature).

I haven't committed the changes yet, still testing (patch attached,
should someone want to try it out). Opinions?

Cheers,
Sadrul