On Screen and XTerm and automatic window resizing...

From: Maciej Żenczykowski
Subject: On Screen and XTerm and automatic window resizing...
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 22:16:04 +0200

Here's what I would like to achieve (in my particular case I only care
about [ie. use] the programmatically resizeable XTerm and [rarely] the
non-resize'able linux console):

- if I open a new screen session on a terminal of W columns and H
lines, I would like screen to startup with that size.
- when I resize the terminal with my mouse I would like screen to
remember the new size
- when I detach screen it could either leave the terminal size alone
or resize it back to the size from before it was started (either way
is fine).

- if I reattach to an existing screen my terminal should automatically
resize to whatever was the previous size of the screen (ie. before
detach)
- when I resize it, it should remember the new size
- when I detach screen it should return to the size of the terminal
from before the reattach

(bonus points if you can get the terminal's on screen location and
font size to be saved as well...)

It looks like something along these lines can be done with a .screenrc entry of:

termcapinfo WS Z0@:Z1@:WS=\E[8;%d;%dt

But this doesn't do what I want it to (it seems to always resize to 80x24).

Is functionality like this simply not-implemented, or am I doing
something wrong?

Thanks,

Maciej.