Re: putty+ssh+screen = auto resizing?

From: Mau Guertin
Subject: Re: putty+ssh+screen = auto resizing?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:01:12 -0800 (PST)

> In my case, a putty session that worked perfectly has TERM set as
> xterm and ones that gave the resize issue were xterm-color ... that
> was the only difference in the setups.
>
> So, I worked on this and found that all I needed to do was adjust
> /etc/screenrc as follows.
>
> old line:
> termcapinfo xterm 'is=\E[r\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;4;6l'
>
> new line (added * character)
> termcapinfo xterm* 'is=\E[r\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;4;6l'

I know this thread is old, I would just like to point out that your
solution worked _only_ if I make that change in my user's ~/.screenrc

Adding the "* character" after "xterm" in /etc/screenrc had no effect
for me (I am on Arch Linux if that matters).

And actually things look a tad different here; I copied the two lines
below from /etc/screenrc to my ~/.screenrc (added the "* character"):

        termcap xterm* 'is=\E[r\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;4;6l'
        terminfo xterm* 'is=\E[r\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;4;6l'

Weird though, I would have thought the global change you recommended
in /etc/screenrc would affect all users, I guess it may depend on the
distro one is using?

But other than that, your solution worked perfectly.

On a related note, here is a link describing another way of resolving
this annoyance; note it doesn't involve /etc/screenrc or ~/.screenrc,
so it may be a more 'universal' solution, given the fact that it would
not be dependent on the terminal (or termcap / terminfo):

http://aperiodic.net/screen/appearance#screen_resizing_despite_-a_when_using_putty_on_windows_iterm2_on_mac_os_x