self-platform-dev

[Self-platform-dev] Update on the SELF Platform development

From: Wouter Tebbens
Subject: [Self-platform-dev] Update on the SELF Platform development
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:24:44 +0100

Dear all,

as I know that many of you are waiting for the next release of the SELF Platform, and I think it is time to give you an update.

As you might know, we have had some delays in the development, for a large part due to the ambitious goals. To make SELF the first platform for the collaborative authoring, organising and remixing of SCORM-compliant educational materials. So far we haven't found a platform with the same characteristics and the development of it is certainly not the lightest challenge!

That said, I think we are getting nearer to a working version, as in the last months we have been able to integrate version management, with free branching, to the authoring environment. This we consider a crucial feature if one wants to edit collaboratively. Now we are working on the improvement of the user interface and debugging, but for those that want to see what we're working on, I point you to a testing version. In [1] you can see a fictitious course with some chapters. When you click on the chapters you can see some versions at the bottom in the left panel. Note that this is not yet a production version! If you register and login you should be able to add, edit and organise the course and its chapters. (be ware of bugs though).

Apart from debugging and user interface improvements, we still have some important steps to make, as you can see in the roadmap we have published at [2] and some more information on the architecture, sourcecode etc can be found at [3].

If you have comments on the platform development, please post them here:
address@hidden or become part of the SELFtest list.

In March we plan to upgrade the current beta with the new developments (phase I). And till the FKFT conference we will be working on improving that one (phase II). As you can see in the roadmap we have defined three main phases.

So, hold on a bit before we can provide the next release, and for the more adventurous: come and join in for testing!

[1]  http://testing.selfplatform.eu:8081/selfplatform/lessonsview?ssid=1083
[2] http://selfproject.eu/en/system/files/SELF-Roadmap_v0.3.txt
[3] http://selfproject.eu/en/TEG

Cheers,