[Simulavr-devel] Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulavr-0.0.12 released

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulavr-0.0.12 released
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:56:51 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, address@hidden wrote:

:)> This release seems to work pretty well with my latest gdb-5.1 patch.
:)
:)I have compiled gdb -> no problems.
:)I have compiled simulavr -> small problems, because I am building in a
:)subdirectory build and this is not fully supported by the package. I have
:)attached a patch to allow this type of build.
:)I had a problem with the html toc file. The patch will fix also this one. I
:)think this is because I am using a Mandrake Linux 7.1 system. My tex2html
:)produces the toc file with a different name. It should still run on your
system.
:)I have also added the target pdf in the main Makefile.am to allow the build of
:)the pdf documentation from the main directory.

I've applied this patch. From now on I'll always be doing my builds from a
separate directory so I'll be able to catch lapses like this. I hadn't
tested this feature of autoconf yet. I use it all the time for
gcc/gdb/etc. I should have been using it before this point. Thanks for the
fix.

:)
:)Then I run simulavr in gdbmode and avr-gdb with the demo.c program.
:)I could load it, set a break point and step through the loop. Then I continued
:)without a breakpoint. The program runs to into the endless loop.
:)Then I tried to interrupt gdb <cntrl-c>. This worked (after a while), but I
:)couldn't run the program again.

The endless loop is inevitable since avr-gcc automagically adds a
while(1); like instruction after main() returns. There's really nothing
that can be done about it in simulavr. I've had good luck with C-c in
simulavr to which _should_ sent gdb a reply indicating that a break
occured. gdb tends to not handle while(1); and for(;;); type constructs
very well. This is true of all arches, I tried it on a native linux
system, not pleasant.

:)
:)Please tell me how to restart a simulation session without restarting simulavr
:)and reloading the program.

I'll have to look into this some more. Try the extended remote protocol
for now and see what happens.

:)
:)At this early point it is impressive for me how far the simulator and the gdb
:)support is.
:)I will  now start to do some test with ddd, avr-gdb and simulavr.
:)
:)You have done a good job, thank you!!!

Thanks for the compliment. I've been working pretty hard on this for about
four months now and all the interest I've had lately is extremely
appreciated.

Ted