Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulating atmega169

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulating atmega169
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:50:00 +0100

Hi,

Is there any chance of simulating the atmega169 on simulavrxx (as it seems this chip is not supported yet)?

Actually it is not implemented, but it is "easy" to add a mega169 device if there is no special peripheral in mega169. I actually have no idea which is special for mega16/9. To simulate the mega16 series you simply have to shrink the ram/rom/eeprom size of mega128. For special features only provided in mega16/9 you have also to impement the specials, but only if you use them :-) And if you compile your program for a mega128 it should normaly work well enough to find all logical problems in your code. The changes in hardware for the peripherals are really small, so doing the final modifications and compilation for your target mcu should not the big problem. (I hope :-)

And how can I follow the varriables in stepping mode inside an interrupt in avr-gdb if it sais that the line numbers are hidden and afterwards it hangs in most of tries?

???
Simply set the breakpoint from ddd or gdb in the irq handler and step as you step in all the other parts of your code. There is no known problem in doing this. If you found one, please report in detail, maybe with source and Makefile so that we can reproduce it. Please do NOT add any objects! I have my own
compiler :-)
Maybe the compiler has optimzed the code so much, that your "real line of code" is thrown away.
Maybe you better step within the assembly window of ddd/gdb.
And as a third hint: If you have a c/c++ file which contains non ascii chars sometimes gdb have no chance to find the corrosponding line numbers from the debug information. This could result in terrible output from gdb/ddd
while stepping through the code.
And at last :-) Please use actual variants of avr-gcc/gdb.

I have not a real idea which problem you have, so please feel free to ask again! Your message that something is hanging while
stepping through the code is a bit "misterious" :-)

Best regards
 Klaus