Re: [Simulavr-devel] best regards (fwd)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] best regards (fwd)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:54:17 +0100

As Michael Hennebry wrote:

> To me, this looks like a poor attempt at phishing.

Sure, coming from a source address somewhere in Korea.  Eric
was for sure well asleep by the time he was supposed to have
sent that message...

Seems someone gathered a lot of addresses in the GNU/FSF area to
launch a phishing attack.  I've got a couple of auto responses today
that indicate "I" have sent similar mails to other parties.  There's
not much information within the auto responses to allow me tracking
the actual source, but all appear to have in common (also with that
mail here) some Korean characters in the timestamp within the first
"Received" header (likely to be a weekday or month name).

As that phishing attack was launched using email source addresses
well-known to mailing lists like this one, it could bypass the simple
"only subscribed members are allowed to send" verification.