Re: [Simulavr-devel] Getting Started with simulavrxx

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Getting Started with simulavrxx
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:05:21 +0100

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get started with simulavrxx and have
> some questions.  I am using the Fedora 10 avr tool RPMs.
>
> 1) Is "./configure ; make ; make install" the preferred
> way to build?

Actually not.

> I got most of the way through a build with this but nots
> perfect since the .in files in the examples directories
> do not get all the @...@ symbols replaced.
You are right. The examples must go back to the time before autotools.
If you dig in the history of the mailing list you will find out that
there was autotools placed in but many people could not compile on there
systems. So we decided to move back to Makefile and a simple config.h.
As you can see, it works :-) But the examples are not back-patched yet.
Sorry for this.

> Patch with ChangeLog attached for a few issues.  With these
> I got a simulavrxx executable on Fedora 10.
>
> 2) Can someone explain how to get the gui to run?  It is
> trying to load simulavr.so and I don't see it built.
Can you read the texi file first. Thanks! :-)
If you have to much trouble with the @..@ symbols feel free to ask for
patches.

> 3) Is this how to build and run hello world on the
> simulator and print something?
>
> avr-gcc -g -mmcu=atmega128 -o hello main.c

OK!

> main.c
> =====================
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main() {
>  puts( "hello\n" );
> }
> ======================
OK!

> ....../simulavr -f hello -d atmega128 -Texit

OK!
> If so, where does the output go?  I see nothing but the program
> appears to run correctly according to the trace file.

There is no output :-)
You have not asked anything to print out. If you wish, try -t option.

....../simulavr -f hello -d atmega128 -Texit -ttrace
....../simulavr -f hello -d atmega128 -Texit -t/dev/stdout
last will print on screen, first in file "trace"

After execution you have the trace data in "trace". Or use other options
for statistics (not sense full without irq) or for debugging with
gdb/ddd or others.

Hope that helps a bit

For the examples I will take a look next week.

Regards
 Klaus