Re: [Simulavr-devel] actual cvs fails to build on suse 10.3

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] actual cvs fails to build on suse 10.3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:15:45 -0500

Klaus Rudolph wrote:
Hi,

I have autoconf 2.61 on my system.

I set my local AC_PREREQ to 2.61 and it seems to work fine.
So I think we could do this in general. If so, can you check that change in please? I have no idea which problems could this generate :-)

I am by no means an expert on autoconf versions but
I don't think we are doing anything weird that would
break. Committed backing it down to 2.61.
build is complete, no runtime tests done.

That's progress.  Hopefully you can run make check
and a couple of examples.

Did you see my tracker issue to fix some warnings?

--joel

Fine! Thanks!
  Klaus

Hi,

I think I have addressed all of these issues.  If
/usr/lib/tclConfig.sh is available, the configure
script now sources it to get the include and library
information for tcl.  That should give us the official
information for the installed tcl.  If it isn't, we go
into the old guessing mode which didn't guess well. :)

I also tinkered with the src/Makefile.am so it built
an intermediate static libsim.a which contains
the common objects to the simulavr executable and
the shared library.  Now simulavr.exe should NOT
be dependent in any way on tcl.

--joel

Klaus Rudolph wrote:
Joel Sherrill wrote:
Klaus Rudolph wrote:
Hi all,

actual cvs head could not build on SuSE10.3

cannot find -ltcl

SuSE comes with libtcl8.4.so

Is this from the link step?
Yes, this is in link stage.

Where is it installed?  Don't you have libtcl.so somewhere?
No, SuSE comes with libtcl8.4.so

What libtcl* files do you have?
The autotools version is setup so it will build
simulavr.exe but no .so or the examples if it doesn't
find tcl.  But it is based on testing for tcl.h and
assumes there is a libtcl to go along with it.
But obviously not in your case.
tcl is installed and tcl.h (/usr/include/) is available.
libtcl4.8 is located in (usr/lib)

I am wondering why simulavrxx itself try to link against ltcl???
The simulator needs no tcl at all. I think that must be removed.

The so-file needs tcl for the swig stuff which is needed by load from tcl.

I will add a probe for various libtcl variants
and turn it into an autoconf variable.  Just
tell me what is on your machine.
I hope you already have this info in my lines above?!

One test for libversion could be to ask tcl itself for the version!
in tclsh: info tclversion
returns the version number. On my system:

% info tclversion
8.4

Maybe you can add this to a check.

My config.h/Makefile uses: -ltcl$(TCL_VERSION)

Hope this helps!
  Klaus

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985