Re: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed with thedeveloment o

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed with thedeveloment on GIT repo?
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:10:23 -0700

On Mon Sep 28  3:17 , Joerg Wunsch  sent:

>I'm willing to help with the migration, as I've already got some
>experience for that (I once migrated AVRDUDE from CVS to SVN on
>savannah).  However, as I've got no personal experience with git, I
>wouldn't want to be the primary officer on duty if the decision is to
>migrate to git.

My concern isn't so much what VCS we use as what
happens with the code in Onno's repository.
I'd like to know my starting point.
IIRC there are major widespread changes.
Should we have a policy on the use or otherwise of templates.
Some of the widespread changes use template classes.
In my contributions, I used members for
memory sizes instead of template parameters.
Mostly the choice was a matter of making the least change.
The warm fuzzy feeling I don't get from large
class templates played no role whatsoever.
Should my atmega{4,8,16}8 code be changed to use templates?

Migration and Onno's code seemed to come up at about the same time.
A causal relationship is possible.
So far as I know, Onno does not want a fork.

>> Clicking on "request for inclusion" brought up an "unknown signer"
>> message.
>
>savannah uses a SSL certificate signed by CAcert.org.  Go to
>
>https://www.cacert.org/index.php\?id=3
>
>and enter CAcert's root certificates into your browser.

Thanks. I'll do that.

>> Even with commit privileges, I probably wouldn't use them.
>> I find it way too easy to make a mess.
>
>Well, if you are developing on it, you should commit.  Anything else
>doesn't make sense.  There's nobody else who is willing and able to do
>the work on your behalf.  It's a VCS, so whatever happens, it can
>always be rolled back when really needed.

OK.
I'll try not to let the smoke out of Savannah.
At work, I only get to mess up my own repository.

--
Michael Hennebry
address@hidden