[Simulavr-devel] Self-programming question

From: Quatre Horrace
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] Self-programming question
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello. I am interested in simulating an application on the atmega128, and found
your simulator. For most of what I need, it is perfect. So, thanks for
developing it!

One thing that I want to test in my application is self-programming flash using
the SPM command. The stable branch in the git repository does not provide
support for the SPM instruction. However, the master branch seems to, as there
is code for it in decode.cpp. What is the state of the master branch, and would
I be able to use the SPM command successfully?

If yes, I think in the SPM code in decode.cpp, using SPM outside of the
No-Read-White-Write section is ignored. From what I can tell from the atmega128
data sheets, it seems the microcontroller will allow the SPM command both in
the Read-While-Write and No-Read-While-Write sections. Is preventing the SPM
command in the Read-While-Write section a simplification, to prevent
potentially unpredictable behaviour?

One last question. Is there an example or test available showing the simulator
using the SPM command?

Thanks!

Quatre