Re: [Simulavr-devel] GDB to stdin connection & threading

From: David Madden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] GDB to stdin connection & threading
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:01:16 -0800

On 1/29/2012 11:54, Petr Hluzín wrote:
all communication-capable classes would put
event objects (Windows) or file descriptors (Unixes) to a central
location which would do WaitForMultipleObjects() or select() on them.

It's been a long (LONG!) time since I did this stuff, but IIRC, that was the best option I could come up with back in the day. Windows and Unix are different in an inconvenient way right here (although the Windows model works fine, more or less; it's really not as stupid as my younger self thought it was!)

If you run communications through a central thread as you propose, you can get the semantics you want relatively easily on either platform. (The downside is code tweaking that may happen in a lot of places.)

Regards,
--
Mersenne Law LLC  ·  www.mersenne.com  ·  +1-503-679-1671
- Small Business, Startup and Intellectual Property Law -