Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr is very unreliable executing a bootloader

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr is very unreliable executing a bootloader
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 08:02:20 +0100

As Albrecht Frenzel wrote:

> The strange thing: sometimes pc gets loaded with the correct pc
> 0x7e00 and it is possible to step through the code using the same
> .elf-file.

You can always set the current PC address in GDB before proceeding:

set $pc = 0x7e00

> Regarding Illegal opcode 'ff ff': wouldn't it be better to simply
> stop simulavr instead of terminating? That would give a chance to
> investigate.

As the AVR (undocumentedly) treats opcode ffff as a NOP, I think
the simulator could even just continue.  There are possible
scenarios where this feature could be used deliberately, e. g.
by including a patch area in the code that is simply run through
as long as it is ffff but which can be written later on to
include additional features.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/