Re: [Simulavr-devel] Whats to do on execution of "illegal instruction"

From: David Madden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Whats to do on execution of "illegal instruction"
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 14:21:28 -0800

On 2/5/16 2:11 PM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> The difference is negligible, it's only a matter whether each
> instruction is going to be executed, or each second one.

Yikes, I wouldn't call that negligible -- it means that if you
accidentally jump to a run of FFFF, then you may or may not execute the
first real instruction after the run, depending on whether you jumped to
an even or odd one of the FFFFs.

You could certainly say that you shouldn't be jumping anywhere _near_ an
FFFF in the first place, but at the very least, the SBRS behavior would
make it harder to debug a problem.

Hmmm, maybe I'll run some tests this weekend on the AVRs I have around.
 It would be interesting to see what happens.

Regards,
--
Mersenne Law  ·  www.mersenne.com  ·  +1-503-679-1671
Small Business, Startup and Intellectual Property Law