Re: [Simulavr-devel] How to Access UI Interface on Port 7777 from own ap

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] How to Access UI Interface on Port 7777 from own app?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:22:04 +0100

> > That can be already done by gdb itself, trace, verilog
>
> of course. but three different ends with different ways to handle them.
>
> I tried to debug a simple "blink" example based on timer interrrupts.
> Simple main loop doing nothin at clock rate.
>
> Trace generates MBytes of output and switches filename any 72 MB or so.
> So when I try to pipe into some filter, it gets cut off after some
> seconds.

I ask you again: What is your expectation?

If you run millions of cycles, you get millions of lines in a trace file.

> > and the gui interface.
>
> well, basically, too, of course.
>
> But I hoped that it was easier to get a clue to some strings I have to
> send over 7777 and use a language I command (in my case Perl) than to
> learn tcl which I have no clue of.

You simply have to take a look in the tcl examples, take the strings which must
be send and received and use your language of choice.

And there is another way: You can use the complete simulator in connection with
swig as library for any language which is supported by swig.
So you can use all languages which are listed here:
http://www.swig.org/compare.html. As I remember perl is also on that list.

If you can not explain which is your need, I am not able to help you.

We have not much docs in the project but a lot of examples which are simple and
useful I mean.

If you have your blink application, what you want to see? You can see all
registers from the cpu, you can monitor all hardware registers from timers, you
can add manual debug instrumentation code and write to "special" registers only
for debug purpose. You can manipulate all registers and all memory locations
from the outside world. And you can get into the simulator code itself by
simply replacing the main loop, using own pseudo hardware devices and get a
call by every cpu cycle "step()" and you also can use a own mainloop from every
known scripting language as well. You can break on interrupt handlers, can
manipulate irq control and status flags and jump manually into handlers as well.

I simply can not see what is missing here...

Again: What! you want to do? I understand you have a blinker app. And now? What
is your target! What you want to achieve?

Regards
 Klaus