Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr-1.0.0 Build Fails.

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr-1.0.0 Build Fails.
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:41:22 +0200

Hi, please CC me in your answers, I am not subscribed to this list
and just found your mail per accident while skimming the mail archive.

Thomas K a écrit:

(Not CC'ing you as I don't see you email address.)

Hi Johann,

as Klaus wrote, version 1.0 is just a little bit outdated :-) So, with
the current versions of gcc you'll get errors just because of newer
version of gcc!

If you get errors from g++, then maybe because g++ switched the default
language, cf. the "GCC 6 Release Series, Caveats".

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-6/changes.html

If you need some specific C++ dialect in the project, you can add
-std=... to the default XCCFLAGS, see

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html

Moreover, some warnings indicate that varargs arguments don't fit the
expected %-code.  This might lead to simulavr crashing or going bananas.

But if I understand your "No avail." right, you're pinned on version
1.0? Why,

I am not restricted to a specific version, it was just the case that
using master didn't fix "hwtiner.h not found".  And the run time error
"option -M not recognized" also persists with master.

what's your scope to use simulavr? (just curious)

Mainly because it supplies a gdb server.  I added a new feature to
GCC / GAS

https://gcc.gnu.org/PR81268

and was curious how a debugger would represent respective code.  As
I am not using debuggers for AVR, I am not really familiar with the
nits and bits thereof.  What I don't need is (internal) I/O simulation,
I'd be just fine with a working AVR core simulator + gdb server.

For GCC testing I am using avrtest simulator because of its speed,
and in cases when a run test fails, avrtest provides some nice features
for logging (and also profiling).

On the other hand, that hwtimer.h isn't found is not because of newer
gcc version. How do you get the package? Cloned from git repo? Or dist

$ git clone --branch master *.git

package (tar.gz)? Could you check, if the file hwtimer.h is contained in
your package and where?

As already noted, the problem is that simulavr has some implicit
"builddir == srcdir" assertions and is using bad include paths with -I.
It will need -I$(srcdir)/ui instead of -Iui and similar for some more
paths in CXXFLAGS. In one case, the canonical choice would be $(top_srcdir).

I am preferring builddir != srcdir if possible, and autotools support
it well.  Just see configure --help.  I supplied a patch to fix that
issue.  I'd expect that simulavr patches would automatically pop up
here in the simulavr-devel mailing list, but obviously they don't...

So here is a pointer to the fix:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9406

Cheers, Johann

cu, Thomas

...and excuse me for not using TOFU style.