sipwitch-devel

[Sipwitch-devel] How to participate in GNU Telephony development

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Sipwitch-devel] How to participate in GNU Telephony development
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 05:33:32 -0400

Sometimes people ask how they can participate in the development of GNU
Telephony packages, such as sipwitch and antisipate. We have worked on
making it very easy for people to get started in participating directly
on our code. One of the special things we have done is create a git repo
that checks out and builds all our packages together in a single source
tree. This can be accessed from anonymous git:

git clone git://dev.gnutelephony.org/project/sources.git
cd sources
./bootstrap.pl
./config.sh
make

This does an anonymous checkout and then sets up and builds an entire
project tree of all our packages through a single top level make. I used
to do this with svn externals.  Of course cmake means I can also use
ctest, and we will eventually create a continuous build server in the
future to make use of this. This is part of why we choose to maintain
our own dev server for this project. As we use gitolite, people who
actively participate in GNU Telephony can also be added for git write
access. Otherwise, git makes it very easy for someone to produce a patch
that can be submitted by email.

The README.DEPENDENCIES covers what system dependencies need to be
installed for Debian. I also documented the dependencies we require for
building on Fedora. Other GNU/Linux distros should be as easy to use to
develop from also. Finally, we also have “git clone
git://dev.gnutelephony.org/project/automake.git”, which has a
bootstrap.pl that does an automake build tree for those packages we
currently support automake for.