sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Memory Leak in recon server?

From: Arnold
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Memory Leak in recon server?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 01:19:13 +0100

Hi,

On 02-02-10 00:15, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2010-02-01 at 16:25 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> Are you suggesting that if a single peer was to, say, flush its DB and
>> re-connect, it could trigger this memory consumption on all/any of its
>> peers?  Would the memory consumption increase proportionally to the
>> number of peers which did this?

> What I know is that I personally have seen problems in the past with
> certain peers, discussed on this mailing-list.  A couple of peers with
> an empty DB did not help, but one "strange" peer could totally kill
> things.

> Looking at http://sks.spodhuis.org/sks-peers now, I see that peers of
> keyserver.cais.rnp.br, pgp.acm.jhu.edu, pgpkeys.mallos.nl, keyserver.ws
> and sks.ms.mff.cuni.cz might want to cough at those operators and nudge
> them to take a look at their servers to see if they're healthy.

As operator of pgpkeys.mallos.nl, I see it is indeed still 10k keys behind.
I downloaded the base set of keys 21 Dec '09 and started peering with
keyserver.gingerbear.net 7 days later (thanks John).

In my statistics I see a more or less constant rate of 300 to 400 new keys
added per day. This is about the same keyserver.gingerbear.net is showing,
so my system cannot catch up and will stay 10k behind. I was hoping a second
peer would improve this rate, but keyserver.fishysnax.com seems to have died
soon after it started on 7 Jan '10. OTOH it is only now that I compare the
two rates and conclude that my system will be behind forever.

So, yet another call for peers :-)

pgpkeys.mallos.nl 11370 # Arnold 0xB66BBBAA

This is a private machine, physically located in the Netherlands (EU).
The machine has no IPv6 connectivity, yet. For further details visit:
http://sks.mallos.nl:11371/pks/lookup?op=stats
http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0x642A49C5B66BBBAA

If it is not in the number of peers, then what can I do further to make it
sync more quickly?

Thank you,
    Arnold