sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Re: Hardware Issue / Kristian

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: [Sks-devel] Re: Hardware Issue / Kristian
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 23:32:05 +0100

David Shaw wrote, On 03/18/2011 07:19 PM:
> On Mar 18, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Kristian is expecting to have working hardware on sunday morning.
>
> Would it be worth setting up a bunch of DNS slaves for the main
> sks-keyservers.net?  With a sufficiently long timeout, we could then survive
> an extended outage without losing access.

Greetings,

First of all, let me apologize for the the extended outage. As Sebastian
was kind enough to relay, I've spent the last week with limited computer
access at the Canary Islands outside of Africa and just returned back to
Oslo, Norway.

As was also reported I expect to have the website and the primary
nameserver (ns1.kfwebs.net) up not too late tomorrow , this is located
in Aalesund (west coast) so will require a bit of coordination, but
hoping to have it up relatively quickly.

What happened was basically a power outage that cascaded badly and an IP
change of ns2.kfwebs.net that I hadn't been informed of. The DNS glue
record for ns2 should now be updated to reflect the proper address
84.215.33.211 and as such the pool should be reachable again (albeit not
updated)

I very much support the idea of adding more DNS slave servers to
increase the redundancy. I have myself contacted a co-location facility
that has offered to host another slave, but I welcome others that has
the capability to contact me off-list so that we can discuss adding
more. The zone is simply zone "sks-keyservers.net"      {type slave;
file "sec/sks-keyservers.net.zone";masters{ 213.161.224.2; };};

I would also require the IP of the slave server sent to me so that I can
configure the master to accept replication.

I recommend adding these additional nameservers to the glue of
sks-keyservers.net's zone, e.g in form nsXX.sks-keyservers.net and then
add these as authoritative nameservers for the zone.

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.kfwebs.net
Nosce te ipsum!