sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] dealing with misplaced signatures

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] dealing with misplaced signatures
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:18:07 -0700

On 2012-08-01 at 00:44 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> Possibly a best of both worlds would be to have SKS do its cleaning, and then
> GPG, after it gained the ability to do a repair, would start requesting keys
> with "clean=off".  This way, clients that could not repair would not get
> mangled keys, and clients that could repair would get the whole key and be
> able to repair it.

While "clean" has the advantage of being out there, this scheme means
that if there's a later problem that needs to be cleaned up, gpg will
continue to ignore the clean-up.

What about a "noclean" option which takes a comma-separated list, or can
be given multiple times, of keywords for clean features that should be
skipped?  We then just need a concise name for the current cleaning
feature.

Since ~nobody is using clean programmatically now, and sks goes through
occasional forcing functions to get the network updated (for at least
the keyservers which GnuPG users are likely to care about), this should
work?

While technically a registry would be helpful, we can avoid that
bureaucracy by just declaring sks the de-facto definition of tags until
such time as someone has a second clean implementation and wants to add
their own, and just have everyone informally "do the sane thing" and
agree on values.  (This also establishes use of the feature, rather than
being pie-in-the-sky, which is helpful if a later re-attempt at
standardising HKP wants to list the registry for IANA maintenance).

-Phil