sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Peering status of limited peers

From: Petru Ghita
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Peering status of limited peers
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 03:23:28 +0200

Hello Chris,

On 08/14/2013 01:54 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 20:00 -0400, Phil Pennock wrote:
>> Perhaps of use for people wanting to explore the connectivity.
> Quite nice...
>
> Can we have this on a regularly updated basis on e.g.
> sks-keyservers.net?

That would be really cool.

> I'd generally like the idea if people could subscribe to an alerting
> system (e.g. also at sks-keyservers.net) which notifies them about
> issues with their servers, like:
> - falling out for several days or weeks of the pool
> - not being accessible anymore
> - having failing cross-peerings
> - limited connectivity to other peers
>
> Guess that could easily help in avoiding keyservers that break.
> I had the same with my old one recently, that it stopped with
> reconciliation and had DB issues... or I recently noted the same on
> bazon.ru.
>
> Sure, people have their logs,... but to be honest... who looks at them
> daily?! ;)

Are there some error messages that should be monitored on the log files?

I'm asking because we could work out some scripts to monitor the log
files for those problems and maybe take some action in case they happen.
I'm thinking about an automatic database restoration perhaps. That would
also mean very frequent database backups of course.

Cheers,
Petru