sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keys.gnupg.net anomaly

From: Christoph Egger
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keys.gnupg.net anomaly
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:45:11 +0200

Hi!

"Kiss Gabor (Bitman)" <address@hidden> writes:
> I found requests for https://keys.gnupg.net/ in my Apache logs
> on keys.niif.hu. Of course they were unsuccessful because
> my HTTP daemon is not set up to provide this virtual site.
>
> In the DNS we can see this:
> keys.gnupg.net          CNAME   pool.sks-keyservers.net
>
> Phil Pennock writes on http://sks.spodhuis.org/:
> | End-users should use a pool definition, such as keys.gnupg.net which will
> | alias into an operational pool.
>
> So this seems to be a well known situation but I don't believe
> it would be a wise thing.
> Google is full of complaints about "unreachable" or "non functional"
> keys.gnupg.net. The reason is above.
>
> What do you think, folks?

AFAIR keys.gnupg.net has been discussed here and keyserver oeprators are
expected to make this work -- at least for hkps.

of course -- if people use keys.gnupg.net with https, this advice should
probably be fixed and/or the cname be moved to the "right" pool

  Christoph

--
9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857  70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer