smc-devel

[Smc-devel] Naming conventions for Indic fonts

From: Mahesh T Pai
Subject: [Smc-devel] Naming conventions for Indic fonts
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:50:39 +0530

Hi all!!

As I was going through my fonts folder, it suddenly stuck me that there are no naming conventions for Indic fonts - or are there any?

This would be a real pain, esp (at least for HTML writing) in due course - unless we are able to arrive at some consensus about font naming conventions.

Of course, I am aware that this was not possible till now due to the divergent encoding schemes. Now that unicode and OpenType standard is emerging, it is time that we do something about it.

(Just in case I am not clear, what I mean is this:- in English, I can always specify something like font-face="verdana, helvetica, arial narrow, arial, sans-serif", and can always predict with reasonable accuracy what the user will see on his screen.)

In malayalam, (now) we can specify something like "keli, malotf, malayalam"; but this need not be so for other languages, coz. here, "malayalam" refers to the font, not the language and in other languages, ( for illustraiton we can use 'hindi' - and there is always the possiblity that the 'hindi' font uses some proprietary encoding...

Again, some words (eg - karthika) are common - and mean the same - in several Indian languages and there is every possibility of different people creating different fonts with same names - like for eg - 'aswini' in Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, and Telegu. In unicode, this would not be a problem, but the user can get confused.

Regards,
Mahesh T Pai.