Re: [Social-discuss] Control own privacy, posted by _others_

From: Odin Omdal Hørthe
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Control own privacy, posted by _others_
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:10:09 +0200

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Ian Denhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here's the problem I see with this: I'm running a gnu social instance on my
> own server, quite literally a PC sitting under my bed. How do you justify
> saying I can't make your name, as it appears on my website, running on my
> hardware, a link to anywhere I please? Supposing I don't have an instance of

What I understand and think about this:

I am  odin.example.com (Odin Hørthe). My server on  odin.example.com
is authorative of the tag  odin.example.com. A friend has added me as
a friend on THEIR GNU social, and tags me in a picture (writing Odin,
which then tags the picture as -> odin.example.com). Other servers
wanting to find pictures and other information about me, use
odin.example.com as source. If uglyspammer.example.net links a picture
to odin.example.com noone will care for that tag, because if
odin.example.com doesn't point to uglyspammer, it isn't a real tag
(picture) of me.

When adding a friend, say, Ian, I can also trust ian.example.com to
always approve tags he's tagging me in. So there is no waiting
involved in 1) Ian uploading and tagging a picture of me, 2) others
finding it via my server.

But with uglyspammer (which isn't a friend), I won't republish his
links without approving them. Which I won't.
--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <address@hidden>