[Social-discuss] Re: [foaf-dev] Yet another idea on a free social networ

From: Lucas Stadler
Subject: [Social-discuss] Re: [foaf-dev] Yet another idea on a free social network
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:57:29 +0200

> This is a comprehensive lits, I think one piece you may have overlooked from
> the selection is dyndns.
Is dyndns this service at http://www.dyndns.com or is it something else, i.e. a
way do have dynamic DNS?

> Most of the things you have mentioned are solved in at least one way, it's a
> case of putting things together right now, or finding someone that wants to
> package things.
To me, it is mostly a case to define how data exchange between two clients
occurs
and how the p2p aspect of the idea is to be solved.
I think I have to clearify this one, as I think that it is a rather important
concept. Basically I do not think that it is good to have servers within such
a thing from the start on. It might be an idea to think about later, if the
distributed data streaming cannot be solved with p2p, but from the start, a
free social net is possibly best done with pure p2p.
Therefor one needs to define:
  - how to find 'online' nodes
  - a possibility to exchange states and data availlable
I mentioned DHT as a possible solution for the first issue, but the second was
covered by the idea of having 'requests' to maintain communication between
clients.

> - Should be HTTP compatible, for maximum reach, while not excluding other
> techs
I think that one could send all the things over HTTP, but it requires a server
or at least a client simulating a server :)

> - FOAF+SSL & WAC are very good starts for privacy and security
Is WAC equivalent to WoT?

> - SPARQL Update (SPARQL 1.1) can be used to exchange data, as can WebDAV or
> simple HTTP PUT, other protocols are fine too
But how does SPARQL maintain the amount of information availlable on the net
and in the network we are trying to build?

> - XMPP integration is also a plus
Err, I just said that it is similar, but if our data exchange is in XML, then
XMPP integration should be quite easy.

> I have all of these things running on my desktop secured through apache and
> FOAF+SSL.
But I do want to go further. I want to have a systems with different clients
which exchange information on what they have availlable for anyone.

> So we can do much of what you are looking for today...we just need more of
> the 100 million+ FOAFs to start becoming power users, then we can start
> having some fun! :)
Hehe...

These are a lot of questions... But I do not have answers to all of yours.