Re: [Social-discuss] On the architecture of a GNU Social node

From: Sean Corbett
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] On the architecture of a GNU Social node
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:09:18 -0400

I just posted this on libreplanet - it outlines in a more specific way
how I think GNU Social nodes should be built.

<http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/User:Teddks/Social>
I definitely agree with the high level design presented in this document. This is basically what Ian and I envisioned when we've sat around, shooting the shit and thinking about how we'd implement GNU Social. I especially like the idea of UI transports; the use of core transports and UI transports solve many of the disagreements on implementation that constitute much of the mailing list's activity over the past few months. Thanks for writing this document out; it's good to see a clear, solid idea of how the node should be designed. A lack of a document like this (and a starting-off point from which to get some code written) was why we had the meeting last Wednesday in the first place.

Speaking of the meeting, I'm sorry there wasn't nearly enough "coverage" as there probably should have been. I'm also sorry if we gave the impression of trying to form some elitist group of developers near Boston who would make decisions for the whole community. All I really wanted was some clarity as to where to start with the project, because I saw the list starting to stagnate and I felt like I should do *something.* I agree that in the future, meetings should take place through IRC, especially given the amount of hackers that aren't even in the U.S.

--sean corbett