[Social-discuss] Re: [FC-discuss] Diaspora: please hire a secretary imme

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: [Social-discuss] Re: [FC-discuss] Diaspora: please hire a secretary immediately
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:08:18 -0500

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Parker Higgins
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd guess somebody to handle correspondence with the outside world. (Or at
> least, synthesize it to present to the team, accept a condensed response
> from the team, and proliferate a more eloquent version.) The success of the
> Kickstarter project means that there are almost 5000 people with a financial
> interest in the project in addition to all of the ones who are just
> interested... that probably adds up to a lot of questions and general
> communication, and I think everybody is in agreement that what the Diaspora*
> guys need to do know is write some code. And now that they've got the money
> to hire a person for the summer to just respond to e-mails and whatnot, they
> probably ought to.
> Just my two cents, don't want to step on your toes, SJ.
> Parker
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Elizabeth Stark <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean by "secretary?"
>>
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Samuel Klein <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> You'll be glad that you did.

I got the opportunity to meet and speak with Shava Nerad (CC'd in case
she'd like to make a recommendation), previously of the Tor group, who
helped change and then maintain Tor's image during the time when it
was getting started and was highly visible in the media. Retaining
somebody of her intellect and savvy can help a project out a lot while
simultaneously taking a lot of burden off of active developers and
hackers.

Between GNU Social, Diaspora*, Free Culture and friends, we have a
very large number of people fielding questions and developing ideas. I
think it would serve us all very well to have somebody taking the lead
in dealing with the media and interested citizens; Diaspora* is in a
very commanding position to find that person, feed him or her, and
make the most out of the present situation.

Ryan