[Social-discuss] hosting on ipv6 and ipv4 server

From: Kenneth Fields
Subject: [Social-discuss] hosting on ipv6 and ipv4 server
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:18:04 +0800

Hi,
My server has both on ipv6 and ipv4 address.
So it has domain names: anysite.io and ipv6.anysite.io.

If I’m on an ipv6 network, I can surf the site on ipv6.anysite.io
If I have ipv4, I surf on anysite.io.

Originally, GnuS links were absolute links, so if I post on ipv4,
the permalink is anysite.io/post. Or my user path is anysite.io/user1

thus the problem,
If I am on ipv6 and click on the link, i switch back to being
on an ipv4 network. That’s not the preferred behaviour I’m looking for.

So we changed all our code to work with relative paths.
ipv6.anysite.io/user1
anysite.io/user1
is the same thing.

Am I managing this correctly?
With absolute urls in the database,
how does one move a database to another site, should the occasion arise.

why did SN or GnuS opt for using absolute url’s? Or am I wrong.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ken