social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] Templates, CSS, Images, JS, licensing

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] Templates, CSS, Images, JS, licensing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:48:06 -0500

Might as well address this all now.  Waiting on these kinds of licensing
questions means they are hard or impossible to address later, so...

 - *Javascript:* Presumably it makes sense for this to be AGPL also?
    Unless for some reason if it normal GPL makes sense, but it's
    probably sane enough to stick with one *GPL, and private
    modifications to javascript honestly aren't much of a concern.
    (Excepting maybe greasemonkey scripts.)

 - *CSS & images/assets:* My thoughts are that I'd prefer that
    MediaGoblin ship with a really basic, very configurable base css and
    images/assets.  I've thought that these should be CC BY (3.0
    unported).  http://mediagobl.in will probably run a fancier, nicer
    looking theme, and that might be CC BY-SA 3.0.

 - *Templates:* Maybe a bit trickier, because technically these contain
    logic and thus would all under the AGPL.  If we want also people to
    be able to configure the templates to be something else, we'd
    probably have to do two things:

     - explicitly declare in the codebase that there's an HTML exception
     - maybe license the templates under something like MIT / Apache?

    There's this example with javascript, but the directionality here is
    you put this in your javascript so as to not necessarily have to
    have your HTML be GPL compliant:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WMS

    Our situation is a bit different.  We want our *templates* to be
    more liberally licensed, and not be bound to the AGPL of the
    backend's python codebase.  In the equivalence of the above
    description, our python code is the equivalent of that javascript
    code.  Do we need to include in the header of *all* python files
    that this is the case?  In the README.txt/COPYING.txt (w/ a separate
    AGPLv3.txt or etc)?

    I'm not totally against the templates being under the AGPL, maybe
    CSS modifications is just "good enough" for many peoples'
    customization needs, but I actually doubt it.  I'm still inclined to
    believe we should make an AGPL exception for templates.

Hopefully I've got this right, or am at least correctable. :)
 - Chris

--
𝓒𝓱𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓐𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓷 𝓦𝓮𝓫𝓫𝓮𝓻