spamass-milter dies under heavy load

From: Matt Cramer
Subject: spamass-milter dies under heavy load
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

I am running two HP-UX 11.0 servers with ISC BIND 8.12.3.  They connect to
a dual processor linux 2.4.4 machine running spamassassin, spamass-milter
0.1.2 (compiled with ISC sendmail 8.12.3 milter libs).

spamass-milter is locking up (not accepting connections on the tcp
socket).  I can not get it to dump core by sending it a kill -11!  Has
anyone else experienced this problem?  Under light load it runs like a
champ, but when put in our production environment it just chokes.  Our
two mail servers process about about 8000 messages / day, each.  Sometimes
it will run for not more than 15 minutes before needing to be shutdown and
restarted.

My first idea is to upgrade to 8.12.6 everywhere and see if that helps.  I
am particularly concerned though that the spamass-milter can not be forced
to dump core.  We are kind of limited in our ability to debug the program.

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <address@hidden>          Office: 717-396-5032
Infrastructure Security Analyst                     Fax:    717-396-5590