Re: What the heck.... Spamass-milt on my work machine

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: What the heck.... Spamass-milt on my work machine
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:35:07 -0500

In the last episode (Jul 09), Derek J. Balling said:
> On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 10:53  AM, Dan Nelson wrote:
> >In the last episode (Jul 09), Derek J. Balling said:
> >>From my home (working) installation:
> >>
> >>$ cat /etc/default/spamass-milter
> >>OPTIONS="-m -u nobody"
> >>$ cat /etc/default/spamassassin
> >>ENABLED=1
> >>OPTIONS="-c -m 10 -D"
> >>
> >>From my work (not working) installation:
> >>
> >>$ cat /etc/default/spamass-milter
> >>OPTIONS="-m -u mail"
> >>$ cat /etc/default/spamassassin
> >>ENABLED=1
> >>OPTIONS="-c -m 10 -D"
> >>

> >>From my work (not working) log file, when it encounters an alias
> >>(e.g., where address@hidden points to address@hidden):
> >>
> >>Jul  9 11:32:22 whitechapel spamd[6587]: logmsg: handle_user: unable to
> >>find user 'whois'!
> >>Jul  9 11:32:22 whitechapel spamd[6587]: handle_user: unable to find user
> >>'whois'!
> >>Jul  9 11:32:22 whitechapel spamd[6587]: logmsg: Still running as root:
> >>user not specified with -u, not found, or set to root.  Fall back to nobody.
> >>Jul  9 11:32:22 whitechapel spamd[6587]: Still running as root: user not
> >>specified with -u, not found, or set to root.  Fall back to nobody.
> >>Jul  9 11:32:22 whitechapel spamd[6587]: logmsg: fatal: setuid to nobody
> >>failed
> >>Jul  9 11:32:22 whitechapel spamd[6587]: fatal: setuid to nobody failed
> >
> >Your real problem is spamd's inability to setuid to nobody.
> >Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you why it failed
>
> But it shouldn't be trying. Note that the work server installation
> should be trying to setuid to mail, after all, that's what I've
> included in the default/spamass-milter config file.

Remember spamass-milter's -u is not the same as spamd's -u.  When
spamass-milter gets "-u mail", that means: ``Extract the username from
the recipient list and pass it to spamc.  If there are multiple
recipients, pass "mail" instead''.  If you want spamass-milter to
always tell spamc to process mail as the "mail" user, try this:

OPTIONS="-m -- -u mail"

spamass-milter 0.2.0 will take any excess commandline arguments and
send them straight to spamc, so the above line will tell spamass-milter
to exec "spamc -u mail" when processing a message.

I hope I'm correctly guessing what you really want here :)

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden