Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state : spamassassin milter seems to

From: Joost van Baal
Subject: Re: Milter (spamassassin): to error state : spamassassin milter seems to randomly fail
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:13:45 +0200

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 01:37:08AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Aug 22), Joost van Baal said:
> > Dan Nelson wrote:
> > > Ooh.  Get me line number info for frame 5.  It looks like you ran
> > > gdb on a stripped binary; otherwise you would see the line numbers
> > > in the backtrace.
> >
> > The executable is:
> >
> >  address@hidden:~% file /usr/sbin/spamass-milter
> >  /usr/sbin/spamass-milter: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
> >   version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> >
> > , the corefile was created from running this file.  What am I missing?
>
> Did you compile the program with the -g flag?

Oops, turned out I didn't.  Recompiled.

> If not, only the
> function names get put into the final executable's symbol table.  With
> -g, line number and variable name information is stored, you would see
> something line this for each frame (taken from a corefile I had lying
> around):
>
> #28 0x0807263d in tcc_add_file (s=0x80a5000, filename=0xbfbff39e "tcctest.c")
> at tcc.c:9391

Since about 2003/08/22 09:27:17 I am running spamd with '-m 100', as
suggested here by kees.

Since Mon Aug 25 09:49:35 CEST 2003 I am running with the recompiled
spamass-milter.

spamass-milter has been running without any major problems since the
adjustment of spamd's -m flag.  Since it's not malfunctioning, I have no
new core file.  (If I get a core, I'll make use of it, and will inform
Dan.  It might still happen: the box is handling the majority of our
mail now.)

It seems spamass-milter deals badly with a situation where spamassassin
runs out of spamd's.  I guess enforcing such a situation might generate
useful core files.

However, I have no more time to do debugging: I've got to actually start
deploying the new box now.

Thanks for all your help!  It has been greatly appreciated.

Bye,

Joost

--
Joost van Baal                                http://banach.uvt.nl/