Re: Upgrading from 0.2.0 to CVS brings a recursing surprise

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: Upgrading from 0.2.0 to CVS brings a recursing surprise
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:17:50 -0500

In the last episode (Sep 22), Joe Maimon said:
> -B in CVS happens also when message is rejected
>
> Also again when the spambucket address rejects the rejected
> copy....recurse.

If your BCC address somehow causes another SMTP session back into the
machine, then yes this might happen.  The only way I can think of it
doing this is if the -B address is a generic one (say address@hidden)
that routes to a "master" smtp server, which then rewrites the address
to a local address (address@hidden) that happens to route
back to the first server, which re-milters the mail.  Addresses that
resolve to local accounts, or ones that resolve to remote accounts they
stay remote, shouldn't cause problems.

> Easy enough to deal with (after receiving hundred of them
> mailer-daemon errors) -- in my case by updating the access db to spam
> friend the spam bucket.
>
> Along with the patch I am using for recipient filter that stopped
> that quick. Also good things to try are disabling SA from local
> machine with args to the milter, or telling SA that spambucket
> address gets all spam.

I recommend adding all internal SMTP servers to the -i list, so
internally-routed mail isn't checked.  Also speeds up routing, because
a message is only checked once as it enters the system.

> Did I miss anything?
>
> Would this behavior perhaps be better as an option?

Which behavior?  Auto-ignoring mail sent to the -B address?  That's a
good idea.

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden