Is this a good idea?

From: Thomas Cameron
Subject: Is this a good idea?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:42:30 -0500

Howdy -

My scenario:

SA 3.0.0 and spamass-milter CVS on a Fedora Core box. It's the only host listed as an MX for the domain, but the customer actually uses a large ISP for e-mail. We just have the FC2 box relay all mail for the domain to the ISP. That means that when the customer receives the e-mail it has headers for the ISP. I'm not sure if that's important for what I want to try:

I am thinking of a system using spamass-milter and SA 3.0.0 whereby exceptionally spammy (i.e. score over 8 or 10) gets silently copied to a spam mailbox on the relay server and exceptionally hammy mail (i.e. score of less than 1) gets silently copied to a ham mailbox. Then sa-learn could be run against the mailboxes to feed the Bayes database.

Is that a good idea? I kind of think that the downside is that a big benefit of Bayes is that false negatives can be fed to it so that they are more likely to be caught next time. In the scenario above I would think that it's really just reinforcing what is already known.

Past that, I am really dying to figure out a good way to use Bayes on a relay server. I keep hearing that you need to be able to forward messages as an attachment but nothing past that. Any comments, suggestions, etc. gratefully accepted.
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT