spamass-milter goes to stop state?

From: Tony Shadwick
Subject: spamass-milter goes to stop state?
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:36:40 -0500 (CDT)

I've been wrestling with this for months and I'm just now getting around to dealing with it.

I have a pair of mail exchangers that experience a pretty heavy load. There doesn't appear to be one particular cause that trips this, but at random times, sometimes days or even weeks apart, the spamass-milter process will go to "Stop" state (at least that is what `top` says) on FreeBSD 5.3. Doing `kill -9 (pid)` doesn't do it. There's no way to kill it other than rebooting the system.

Any ideas what might trigger this? System specs are different on both machines, but both are running the most current 5.3 kernel sources available, however this has happened on every kernel we've built. :\ We use generic sources, enabling SMP on one, and the other not.

Help? Side question, anything I can use as a watchdog daemon that would notify me when it goes to that state via e-mail? I'm looking for a daemon to just check on it every so often.