X-Spam-Status leaking into mail bodies

From: Carl Brewer
Subject: X-Spam-Status leaking into mail bodies
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:39:21 +1100

Hello,
I recently ugraded to spamassassin 3.1.1, which introduced a
change in how headers are dealt with, which leads to headers
leaking into mail bodies.

Excerpt from my discussion on the spamassassin mailing list.

(Theo Van Dinter) :
The problem is caused by a specific feature that was added into
SpamAssassin in 3.1.1 -- namely that we'll use the same line endings that the
original message uses (LF vs CRLF).  spamass-milter relied on the previous
behavior (always use LF), which happened to work well with what libmilter
expected.

So in this case, I would expect the spamass-milter code to be modified
to take into account that line endings could either be CRLF (3.1.1 and
beyond) or LF (3.1.0 and previous).

(alternately, libmilter could be modified to handle either LF or CRLF, which
would probably be easier to code, but harder to get that API changed...)

The spamassassin people suggest that they are now doing the right thing,
and that spamass-milter needs to change to deal with this on UNIX
systems so it feeds limbilter the right characters to prevent
the headers getting broken up and leaking.

Is anyone else seeing this problem, and what's the procedure for
sending a patch or poking the maintainer to deal with this
more neatly than just adding "-M" to my spamass-milter
command line?!

Thankyou

Carl