Re: Jamming up with mutex_lock

From: Andrew Daviel
Subject: Re: Jamming up with mutex_lock
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:43:42 -0000

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Andrew Daviel wrote:

But on the production machine, I see about 20 threads. Several of them
have been around for an hour, far in excess of the sendmail timeouts

I realise that the sendmail timeouts on SMTP DATA were indeed set to an hour, compared to the 5 minutes for milter timeout. We clearly have various ratware losing connections when spamming which explains the stalled milter threads. I've dropped some of the SMTP timeouts to 20 minutes; I doubt we have legitimate users sending us 20Mb emails over a dialup line anymore.

When I log PPID from the milter, it seems I may have been on the wrong track. When the milter jams, it seems that the parent process listening on the milter socket has died, along with its extant threads, but there may be one or more child processes in mutex_wait. So the problem is not that the processes are deadlocked, it's that the parent died. I'm still not sure why.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)