Re: delivery status notification - disable

From: Andrew Daviel
Subject: Re: delivery status notification - disable
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:41:56 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, Marius Vochin wrote:

 Can you tell me, please, how can I discard a spam message?

I thought the whole point of the milter was that it generated reject status rather than discarding, so that a legitimate user who had tripped spamassassin e.g. by mailing a photo with no personal name would be notified, but that direct-to-MX spam would not be returned to bogus return addresses.

I'm not quite sure why you were seeing a DSN. Normally, the sender's MTA generates a DSN (which you don't see), but if the sender is a virus or spambot, it won't bother. I had noticed, though, that if a local mail forward (via .forward or aliases) exists, that the local sendmail will generate a DSN if the forwarded mail fails. So if a spam falls under our threshold, and we forward it to another site with a lower threshold, and that site gives reject status, our sendmail generates a DSN to the (probably forged) return address.

I can't recall if spamass-milter has a setting to discard mail (i.e. issue an "accept" 2xx status, then drop the mail). If not, turn off the milter and use e.g. a procmail filter to discard mail with the spam flag set.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)