Re: skip if .forward matches regex

From: Damian Menscher
Subject: Re: skip if .forward matches regex
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:21:12 -0700

One option for you would be to run spamassassin in the global procmailrc rather than as a milter.  I vaguely remember it will be skipped for users with a .forward file.  Users who want spam-scanning before the forward can forward via their own .procmailrc.  (I think /etc/aliases will bypass the spam scanning also.)

That said, I advise against making spam-scanning optional.  What I've found is that a user will forward all their mail off somewhere else, the destination site will run some commercial system (like Barracuda), and that commercial system will tag my server as being an "open" relay, getting it blacklisted everywhere else.  After the second time this happened to me, I stopped giving my users the choice.  If they don't want their spam to be blocked, they should tell get a new email address and get off my system.  It may sound harsh, but remember your job is to protect your current users, not former users.

To make this more palatable to users, I set up spamass-milter with rejection only at high spam scores (like >10).  Users could optionally filter at lower scores (eg, >5) via their .procmailrc.  Blocking only obvious spam makes false positives unlikely (so users don't need to worry), and not forwarding the worst of the worst was sufficient to stay off spam lists.

Damian
Author of http://itg.beckman.illinois.edu/technology_development/software_development/milter_watch/